Novels


121: What We Have Wrought

[Introduction: Mohinder Suresh, now free of the physical effects of his imperfect formula, escapes Pinehearst's destruction and the work he did there. He crosses with Trac Strauss, who offers him a ride--and the offer of a lifetime...]

Mohinder Narrating: Finally...(looking at his clear, unscaled hand)...It's over...

Tracy: So, Dr. Suresh, what are we going to do with you?

Mohinder: What do you mean, "do with me?"

Tracy: You're a valuable man--being able to make Gods from insects...

Mohinder: Sorry, I don't follow.

Tracy: Then let me put it this way...could you reproduce the catalyzed formula?

Mohinder: And why would I want to do that after all of this?

Tracy: Money? Curiosity? Why's not so much the point. "Can you?" is the question.

Mohinder: No, I can't. Without having a sample that I can use to isolate the catalyst...all I can do is create monsters.

Tracy: Supposing you had a complete sample?

Mohinder: From where? Pinehearst? It's all been destroyed. All of it.

Tracy: (revealing a surviving vial of the serum) This is all that's left. From what I understand, all that's left in the world. Does this change your professional opinion at all, doctor?

Mohinder: Where--? What's your interest in all of this?

Tracy: For all their faults, Arthur and Nathan were right: giving powers to everyone is the only way to ensure the world's safety. So doctor, what do you say? Do you want to continue to save the world? Do you want to be a hero?

Mohinder: Why would I do that? Even with the catalyzed formula...even if we're born this way, we're all monsters. All of us. Is that what the world needs, Tracy?

Tracy: Then consider it this way: Evolution's made it's choice. People with powers will continue to be born. Who's going to protect all of those normal humans from us monsters? You can, doctor, by allowing them to defend themselves, rather than just being easy prey.

Mohinder Narrating: Monsters...all of us...

Mohinder: You may be right.

Tracy: So doctor, what do you say? You'll be known as one of the greatest men in history. That I can guarantee. Perhaps we can come to terms?

Mohinder: To protect the world I will do anything.

Tracy: You'll see doctor, we'll change the world...(holding the vial up in the air, Mohinder grabs it) Suresh! What the hell are you--?

Mohinder: I'm sorry, but I will not sacrifice my soul or the world for the chance to play God again...

Tracy: NO! (Mohinder dives out of the rolling car, and slides down a 20' embankment.)

Mohinder Narrating: And now, again, I run...I run til the adrenaline is gone and even I feel the strain...(looking at the vial in his hand) is this what I want? (he drops it to the ground and steps on it) Yes...yes it is...now I'm finally free. (He is shown walking toward the NYC skyline.)

[The End]