Novels


118: Red Eye, Part 2

[Introduction: The man called Red Eye was determined to get revenge against the Kill Squad for all the pain they had caused him. He even went as far as kidnapping Anna, a young girl with powers of her own to help him. Over time, they came to know one another as more than captor and hostage, and when the inevitable battle against the Kill Squad occurred, Red Eye was able to coax Anna into using her mind-altering powers-to devastating results. Disgusted by her actions and hateful of Red Eye for putting her in this position, Anna fled...

Now, several moths later, Anna is in a small northeast college town, trying to escape the past...and wary of an uncertain future...

[Caption: Ithaca, New York.]

(on campus)

Anna Narrating: It's been weeks since it happened. Ricardo Silva. They call him Red Eye. He kidnapped me. Used me. Made me do terrible things. I used my power--my curse--to kill people. Now there's blood on my hands. I needed to get away from him--from what we'd done--so I broke free...and ran. Until I finally realized that if he--or any of the others--truly wanted to find me, there was no place I could hide. Nowhere I would truly e safe. In a way, I guess I found that...comforting.

College Boy: So, uh, Miss Korolenko. Is that Russian?

Anna: Yes.

College Boy: Are you an exchange student?

Anna: No, actually I live her enow.

College Boy: Cool, then I guess I'll be seeing you you around.

Anna: Definately.

Anna Narrating: This is where I stopped running. Where I've begun my new life. I work as a waitress, on the overnight shift at the blue dolphin diner. It isn't the greatest job, but it pays the bills--with just enough money left over for a class or two at the university. My remaining time is spent reading and learning--trying to understand who I am, where I came from, and most of all...how to control my ability to hurt people's minds. But what if I'm wrong? Maybe I can never stop. Never settle down. They say Primatech is gone, but I know he's still out there...looking for me. He could be anywhere--

Claire Bennet: Excuse me. Could you tell me where lecture hall D is? (startles Anna) Hey, I didn't mean to scare you like that. I was just--

Anna: Oh, no. It's not your fault. It's just getting dark and I thought you were--I--Oh, never mind--It'll just sound foolish.

Claire: Great. Well, uh, later.

Anna: Wait, did you say you were looking for something? Hahahahahahahaha! I must sould pretty crazy. I guess I'm just not so used to normal conversation anymore. Everyone I talk to seems to have--

Claire: --A hidden agenda. Believe me, I know. Let's try it again, Okay? I'm Claire. I came up here with my grandmother but she's back at the motel, thankfully, and I have no agenda other than directions to the open house.

Anna: Please to meet you, Claire. I'm Anna. Lecture Hall D is over there.

Claire: Do you go to school here?

Anna: At night. It's a lovely school. Are you looking to come in the fall?

Claire: Honestly this whole visiting schools thing is her idea. I'm just along for the ride. I'm not sure I even want to gu-hulghhhh! (grabbed from behind in a chokehold by a campus guard infected with red-eyes.)

Guard #2: (draws gun) Claire! (shoots Claire 3 times in the abdomen)

Anna: NO! STOP! (she invokes her power, blasting the guards minds). Claire! Somebody--call for help! Please!

Ricardo (Red Eye): (approaching over her shoulder) Anna--thank god you're all right. C'mon--we gotta go!

Anna: You! You did this?! Again?!

Ricardo: I-I had to do it. For your own good! I saw the Primatech files. She was one of them! I was only trying to help!

Anna: Just call an ambulance!

Claire: (regenerates and wakes up) NNHHHHHHH...What happened?

Anna: Claire! You're all right! (hug) And the guards! How?!

Claire: I was wondering the same thing about you! Who's the guy?

Anna: His name is Ricardo. We have...history.

Claire: And did he make them--

Anna: Yes.

Guard #1: Excuse me, but is everything--uh-all right over here? Did one of you call for help?

Anna Narrating: The guards are all right--and they don't remember a thing! I must be gaining control over my ability!

Anna: Just a little misunderstanding, I guess.

Guard #2: All right. Well, just let us know if we can be of assistance.

Ricardo: I'm sorry, Anna. I was only trying to look out for you. All I've ever wanted was to keep you safe. Just give me a chance. Let's go somewhere and talk. And if you want me to leave after that, I promise you'll never hear from me again.

Anna: Why should I trust you? Look at Claire! If she wasn't special...I--I don't even want to think about it.

Claire: He was right in one sense--I did do some work with Primatech. Before I knew what they were about. I know I should be P.O'd that he got me shot--but I see now it's because he cares about you Anna. And believe me, I know that's hard to come by in this world--especially for people like us.

Anna: Well then maybe it's time for all of us to have a talk...over dinner. On me.

[The End]