Novels


122: Almost Famous

[Introduction: Matt Parkman begins to forge his new life with Daphne as the two attempt to start over in New York City. Having normal lives. Being ordinary people. But in extraordinary circumstances, sometimes the temptation becomes too strong to resist...]

(Matt Parkman is working security outside a concert event where the marquee states: "Heather Haze in concert".)

Matt: Arena security. Can you open your coat for me? (to a gotee wearing fan)

Unknown Assailant: (Matt's Telepathy: I love Heather so much. If she can't be mine, she has to die.)

Matt: What did you say?

Gotee fan: I didn't say anything. (Matt's Telepathy: Hurry up man, I gotta go to the bathroom.)

Matt: Sorry, you can go. Hey man, can you cover my row? I'll be right back.

Matt's co-worker: Come on Matt! There's twenty thousand people waiting to get in.

Matt: I'll be right back.

Matt's co-worker: Hey Parkman, you can't just leave your post, I'm telling Jerry.

Matt: Okay, you do that. I'll tell him how you rushed people through without checking their bags.

Matt's co-worker: Take your time!

Matt narrating: That woman. could she be the one?

Matt: Why are you here? (grabs her arm)

Woman: What? (Matt's Telepathy: Is this guy nuts?)

Matt: Never mind.

Unknown Assailant: (Matt's Telepathy: I don't want to shoot her but I can't bear to see her with anyone else.)

Matt: Where are you? Whatever you're going to do! Talk to me first!

Tan Cap Bystander: Who are you talking to?

Matt: I don't know.

Jerry: (over security radio) Parkman, where are you?

Matt: Jerry, I'm in the first floor lobby. Listen, you have to postpone the concert!

Jerry: Are you crazy, I don't have the clearance to do that! Why?

Matt: Look, there's someone here who wants to kill Heather Haze.

Jerry: What are you talking about? How do you know this?

Matt: Uh, I can't tell you how I know that, I just know. You gotta close this arena down!

Jerry: Parkman, did we drug test you? (click)

Matt: I guess that's going nowhere.

Matt Narrating: Alright, think, Parkman. Think like a detective. What are you missing here? If I wanted to kill Heather Haze, how would I---(He sees a guy running with a security jacket on)

Matt: You! Security, Stop!

Unknown Assailant: (Matt's Telepathy: He knows.)

Matt: Security! Out of the way! (on mike) Jerry, where is Heather Haze's dressing room?

Jerry: Sub floor, room 1138, why?

Matt: Meet me down there as fast as you can!

Jerry: What's this about, Parkman?

Matt: Just do it! I'm on my way!

(inside the dressing room)

Heather: What do you want?

Assailant: I just wanted you to love me! I just wanted you to think of only me! Not that, that, dancer! That creep! (Parkman open's the door) Get out!

Matt: I can't do that. Now, listen to me. Just put the gun down.

Assailant: No! You don't understand!

Matt: Come on, you don't want to hurt anybody.

Assailant: I don't want to. I have to!

Matt gives him a command via telepathy: Stop! Give me the gun!

(Assailant hands it over.)

Matt: Thank you.

Heather: What did you just do?

Matt's co-worker: Yeah, Parkman, what did you just do?

Matt: I didn't do anything, he just handed me the gun.

Heather: No, no. You did something. How did you do that? Whatever you did, I've gotta thank you on stage in front of all my fans!

Matt: No, that's okay. I don't want anyone to know about it.

Heather: But you're a hero.

Matt: No, I'm not. I shouldn't even be here. Look, I--

Matt gives her a command via telepathy: You never saw me. Jerry apprehended this man as he was trying to kill you. I was never here.

Matt Narrating: Alright, can't go back to that job. You almost blew it, Parkman. The last thing you need is to try and explain what happened on the eleven o'clock news.

(Leaves arena and returns home...opening the door, Matt is met by Daphne.)

Daphne: It's on the news. Someone tried to kill Heather Haze. What happened?

Matt: I don't want to talk about it.

Daphne: So, did you? You did something, didn't you? I know you did!

Matt: Yes. But, I'm not sure I did the right thing.

Daphne: But you saved the day? What's wrong with that?

Matt: I could have put us in danger Daphne. Promise me that you'll keep a low profile.

Daphne: But, I like using my pwers. And besides no one can see me as well as catch me. And--

Matt: That's not the point. Just, promise me, please? If anything were to happen to you I--

Daphne: I'll try, Okay? I promise. I promise no one will catch me. Okay?

Matt: Daphne!

[The End]