Novels


116: Stuck in the Middle

[Introduction: After 50 marines were recruited into the Pinehearst program, Nathan Petrelli took over the reigns from Tracy Strauss. Nathan ordered that the marines that were recruited were put into smaller "platoons" containing 3-5 recruits each. The longer the maries were at Pinehearst, the stranger things began to feel...]

Ryan Hanover Narrating: (a letter to his mom) I was chosen to be part of an elite task force, Mom. Pinehearst only recruited 50 maries -- they only chose the best and brightest. The ones that made it back alive. Not all of us did. But thing is...even if you never believed in me or what I did...I'm going to save the world.

(Pinehearst Facility -- Fort Lee, New Jersey)

Ryan Hanover Narrating: Even though my tour of duty is over, I won't be coming home, Mom...I'm staying with Pinehearst...staying with people that believe in me. This is a goodbye. Not a see you later. Ryan.

Ryan: And what do we have here? (notices a hole in the wall to an adjoing shower) Well, Hello, Mills...I didn't expect to see you here.

Ryan Hanover Narrating: Jackpot. So this is why people write their personal crap in here. Maybe there is something to this whole "chicks in the military" thing after all. She might be a bitch, but I would --

Tracy: (heard from an adjoining room through the vent) He's responding exactly the way that you intended, is that what you want to hear?

Ryan Hanover Narrating: Uh-Oh...

Nathan: Frankly, Yes. That's precisely what I wanted to hear. That will be all.

Ryan Hanover Narrating: What the --?

Tracy: That will be all? You know, I'm busting my ass here, trying to make sure the media doesn't catch wind of this, and all I get is "that will be all?"

Nathan: If you don't put blinders on a horse, it spooks easily.

Tracy: You're kidding, right?

Nathan: There's a reason to spook the horses, Tracy.

Tracy: We're changing peoples' DNA...We have to tell them.

Nathan: We're making them better, and no we don't -- they signed waivers.

Ryan Hanover Narrating: $#@$! (boxes labeled "Johnny Luck cleaning supplies" that he's standing on start to collapse)

Nathan: We have a safety net. Now can we just get past this?

Ryan Hanover Narrating: Are you kidding me? (starts to fall off the boxes)

(Rachel, Tracy, and Nathan here the commotion)

Tracy: What was that?

Ryan Hanover Narrating: Oh, Boy...

Nathan: Cleaning crew, probably -- Look, do you have something to say, or not?

Ryan Hanover Narrating: Let's not give them a reason to investigate.

Rachel: (exiting shower in towel) What was that?

Ryan: What?

Rachel: Did you hear that? It sounded like someone fell or something.

Ryan: I didn't hear anything, Okay?!

Tracy: We still have non-catalyzed versions of the serum, around the labs. Until we do away with them, we're asking for trouble.

Nathan: What, you think one of your sympathetically unwitting test subjects is gonna get curios and shoot up? The're marines. No one will be surprised if they die.

(To be continued in...The Recruit - Airing tonight on NBC.Com/Heroes for more...)