Novels


115: Truths

[Introduction: Arthur Petrelli has always ben a man of many faces. Through the years, he cultivated many guises for different purposes. To his sons, he was a weak-willed lackey for shadowy criminals. To his wife Angela, he was a loving, but stern man. But it was only in his recent return that his family would learn what kind of man he truly was...]

(At Pinehearst, present day, as a bullet hovers inches away from the forehead of Arthur Petrelli, fired at him by his son Peter)

Arthur Narrating: When you die, your life doesn't flash before your eyes. Time just slows to a crawl...the mind wanders...and that time is yours, to do with what you will. Repent. Reflect...Regret? And either by the grace of God (thinks of Peter)... or the devil (thinks of Sylar). My moment's been...extended.

Sylar: There's no place I'd rather be than with family. Are you my family?

Arthur: Of course. I'm your father.

Arthur Narrating: I've died twice. Both times, he was there. Everything began so well intentioned. Where did I misstep? Where did I veer from the path? I think back to the moments in my life that defied me.

(Memories of life-events swirl through Arthur's mind, the pistol symbolically laying in the poisoned bowl of soup, the Haitian, his military service, the Group of Twelve, raising his two sons, and settle on a deerhunting memory from their early boyhood.)

Arthur Narrating: And I remember one thing. One indelible truth. Despite how others may judge my actions. Everything I've done has been for my family...deep down my boys meant everything to me. I cherish all the memories, even the tragic ones. I named my company after them. (The location they deerhunted was named Pinehearst.)

(Venue changes to Arthur and Angela talking late one night in their bedroom.)

Angela: I take it the trip didn't go well?

Arthur: It went exactly as I'd expected.

Angela: Be patient with Peter, he will be a great man by the time he manifests.

Arthur: I can't hold onto that blind faith anymore, Angela. The ability is in the wrong son. Peter is never going to amount to anything.

Angela: You're starting to sound like Nakamura...

Arthur: Maybe he's right. The gentic markers are showing up in the weak child -- the one who lacks the will for action. Maybe God is punishing us?

Angela: We are better than God, Arthur. If you think Nathan should have an ability, then fix it.

Arthur: You want to use the synthetic formula on our boy?

Angela: Is it any different than vaccinating for the measles or the mumps? If the boy is deficient, we correct it. We have the technology. He has our lineag. His system will handle it.

Arthur: Both of my sons are disappointments. If this is the only way to salvage one...

Angela: I'll call Dr. Zimmerman in the morning and arrange his flight.

(Venue changes back to the deerstand.)

Arthur: Take the shot!

Nathan: I'll do it.

Peter: (crying) NO!

BAM

(The scene merges past and present, the deer being shot by a pistol this time, with a rifle sillouette in the background, blood exploding from the target...as the next frame shows Peter holding the pistol, with Arthur being shot, and blood exploding from the target.)

Arthur Narrating: In a strange way I'm proud he pulled the trigger...Peter proved me wrong...and it's the best feeling in the world. Everything I've done has been for my family...and now in my death, both my sons are strong enough to do what must be done.

[The End]