Novels


022: Hell's Angel

[Introduction: The man with the horned-rimmed glasses, Mr. Bennet, has dealt with many individuals with fantastic abilities. Most were faceless entities, those to be "bagged and tagged." A very few became friends. And one he would encounter early in his career, who would become the most special person in his life: the girl called Claire.]

[Caption: Texas. After midnight. 1992.]

Noah Bennet Narrating: It wasn't the first bag and tag that I'd run with Claude.

Claude Raines: This woman we're after, has she manifested an ability?

Noah: Not a clue. BUt that's the fun, right? Never knowin' what we're gonna get.

Noah Narrating: We'd been partners for a while. I was still a rookie. He was the pro.

Noah: Isn't this dangerous? Not knowing what we're walking into?

Claude: "we're" not walking into anything. You're staying out here and keeping watch like a good doggy, while I do the heavy liftin'.

(Claude enters apartment 36)

Noah Narrating: Claude could make himself invisible. I think that made him feel untouchable.

Noah: But what if she spots you?

Claude: It's forty winks past 2 AM, rookie, and I'm bloody transparent. She's not gonna spot me unless I say, "Boo".

Noah Narrating: On most jobs, Claude would sneak in on his own, and tranquilize the target, while I waited outside...for the "all clear".

(KABOOM. Fire erupts from the room, knocking the door of its hinges on top of Noah.)

Noah Narrating: And as the door pelted me in the chest, and the heat from the flames singed my skin, I wondered...if an invisible man catches on fire, can you see him burning?

Noah: (Enters the room running, gun drawn) CLAUDE! CLAUDE! What happened?!

Claude: The bitch blew-up! Don't worry about me! Get the baby!

Noah Narrating: (Noah enters a bedroom, seeing a young toddle sitting up in a crib.) That was the first time I saw her. A little angel in hell. My Claire. At that moment, I couldn't know that Claire would soon become my daughter. But I knew one thing for certain. I would do everything in my power to keep this child safe. No matter the cost. No matter the consequence.

Noah: Any idea how to change a diaper?

Claude: None. But I could use a change of underpants myself.

Noah Narrating: Don't worry Claire. I'll protect you.