Novels


032: Walls, Part 2

[Introduction: In the world where the bomb destroyed New York, Peter Petrelli helped Future Hiro free inmates held unjustly in a Prison. One of them, a caged and frightened Niki Sanders.

They were steps away from freedom, when they ran into an incapacitated Future Hiro, held at bay by three formidable guards...]

Future Niki Narrating: My name is Niki Sanders. And I've lived a lot of lives. Been a lot of things.

(She watches the Electic Manipulation Agent spray Future Peter, while the Enhanced Speed Agent whirls around him, kicking him; while the other large Agent chokes Future Hiro above the ground by the neck.)

An abused daughter, a stripper. An unwilling murdered. A wife. A mother. A survivor. A mourner. And now, for the second time, an inmate. But save an isolated incident or two...I was never really a fighter. (she initiates a move towards the melee.)

This was new. (She dives toward the Enhanced Speed Agent with a flying elbow, catching her by surprise.

Future Peter: Thanks.

Future Niki Narrating: All I knew was his name. Peter.

(Future Peter absorbs and returns lightning back towards its originating Agent.)

Future Peter: Lightning. That ought to come in handy.

Future Niki Narrating: He and his little friend were breaking us out. Trying to, anyway.

Future Peter: Why can't we freeze time?

Future Hiro: One of them must be able to block it somehow.

Future Peter: Which one?

Enhanced Speed Agent: (Already righted to her feet, and toward Niki, still on the ground from her previous tackle.) I hope you enjoyed that last breath. Because it's, well...your last breath.

Future Peter: You touch her and it will be yours too. (Peter creates a fireball in his hand.)

Enhanced Speed Agent: You can't burn what you can't catch, scar-boy.

Future Peter: Well, thanks to our quality time together, I'm as fast as you are. Talk about speed-dating...

Future Niki Narrating: (Observing the large Agent throwing a punch at Future Hiro, as he ducks underneath it, causing him to punch the Prison wall, as pieces of brick crumble under his blow.) Maybe I should have stayed in lock-up. At least in there, no one was trying to kill me. (The Electic Manipulation Agent begins to chase her, levitating, and preparing another electrical attack).

Future Niki Narrating: At least I knew who I was -- Prisoner Niki. I've been a lot of things. Lived a lot of lives. Picked a few trick from each of them, I suppose. (She runs toward a basketball goal.) But never in a million years, would I have guessed, that of all things...(she flings herself at the goalpost)...it would be the pole-dancing that would save my hide. (She hurls around the pole and lands a powerful kick into the Electic Manipulation Agent knocking him into the Enhanced Speed Agent, and rendering them both unconscious.)

Future Niki Narrating: And just like that, we left. We were free. Sort of.

(A line of escapees are following Future Hiro out through the woods.)

Bald escapee: When can I talk to my wife?

Future Hiro: You are all still in danger. We're going to arrange transportation to a special facility in Texas...

Woman escapee further back in the line: What's in Texas?

Future Niki Narrating: Most of my fellow inmates had families to reunite with. Lives to resume. I had no idea what to do next.

Future Niki: Thanks.

Future Peter: You were great back there, by the way.

Future Niki Narrating: I've lived a lot of lives.

Future Peter: Let me know if you need any help with anything...like tracking down your family.

Future Niki: That's not necessary. I don't really have a family anymore.

Future Peter: Oh.

Future Niki Narrating: But they all ended the day the bomb went off. Who would I become now?