Novels


128: Puppet With No Strings

[Introduction: Eric Doyle, the sadistic puppet-master, can control people's bodies and actions with his power. He has spent most of the last two years in captivity in The Company's isolated "Level 5". But on the night of the Primatech fire, he was freed by Noah Bennet. He fought and lost to Sylar. And then escaped in the inferno. We pick him up weeks later - as he encounters a new adversary!]

(Eric Doyle is bound to a chair, being tortured by Danko. Rachel Mills and Jason Pierce stand guard.)

Eric Doyle Narrating: (face-punch )It's a lot of pain. But you kinda get used to it after a while. There'll be a second or two before the next fist. A couple of gulps of air...that'll help. (face-punch) Okay, that should be it it for a minute. Now the questions will start up again...

Danko: Feel like talking yet?

Rachel: Sir, looks like he's had enough? Maybe we should take him in? Senator Petrelli's orders are...

Danko: (interuppting) Petrelli's not in charge tonight...I AM> So. One last time, before I get mad. Who else was there? Who else survived?

Eric Doyle Narrating: They want my story. But it won't make a difference. No matter what they'll just lock me up. torture me. kill me. Looks like the company is back. But this new breed. meaner...uglier.

Eric Doyle: Why didn't you just say you wanted a story? I've got a good one. But I've got to warn you, there's no happy ending.

Eric Doyle Narrating: Maybe rebel was watching me. That night two months ago as Pinehearst burned to the ground. I was sure I was the only one alive. But then I saw someone else. Like a wolf in the distance. His animal eyes ripped through the darkness right at me. But, that night at least, he had other things on his mind. You'd love to get your hands on Sylar wouldn't you? He's a whale. I'm a minnow. With the Company burned to the ground, all those years of fear left me, like the tide going out. The joy of my power came back to me just like in the old days. I could use it to get anything I wanted...money...a car...a place to lay low...a hot mean...anything! But even when you can get anyone to do whatevr you want...you can't stop their faces. You can't stop their eyes...I disgust them. And that made me disgust myself. (puking in a commode.) I hate that feeling.

(TV Screen blairs a message in the next room.)

Eric: What the...?

Eric Doyle Narrating: And that's when I first heard from him...

Rebel Message on TV: Doyle...you can change! "Rebel"

Eric Doyle Narrating: Rebel? After that Rebel was everywhere. Talking to me. Calling out to me.

Rebel on storefront TV Screens: People need help help them! "Rebel" People are good

Eric Doyle Narrating: Everywhere.

Rebel on Marquee
: So are you.

Eric Doyle Narrating: Maybe he was right. Maybe I was good. Maybe I could help. If so, I knew I had to go back to the only place that had ever made me happy. Before the powers. Before all of this.

(Doyle returns to his now condemned puppet theatre and starts to play with puppets.)

Eric Doyle Narrating: A long time ago I had made people laugh instead of cry. Maybe I could do that again. Which is when you nice people showed up. (Doyle is tazered in the back.)

Eric: You're rebel, aren't you? You lied and tricked me. You made me hope again just so you could get me back here and catch me.

Danko: I've got news for you. You're insane. There is no "Rebel". Thanks for the tip about Sylar, though. Now-- to finish up that business about you dying in a fire! (Danko lights a molitov cocktail and slams it to the floor, igniting the room as he and his squad leave Doyle to die in his buring theatre.) Call in about Sylar. Find out if he's got any family and stake them out. Meanwhile, let's follow up that lead on the invisible guy.

Jason: Yes sir.

Rebel texts Rachel: It's time - do it now!

Jason: Rachel, you coming? Where'd she go?

(Rachel teleports inside to rescue Doyle.)

Eric Doyle Narrating: You can't cheat fate. I did bad things and now it's come down to this...my time is up.

Eric: (to Rachel who cuts him free) You...? You saved me?

Rachel: I have to get back. If Danko finds out I have a power he'll lock me up...or worse. Take my phone. Rebel wants you to have it. Now run!

Eric: Rebel?

Rachel: Listen to Rebel. He'll help you!

Jason: (Back outside at the truck) Where the hell were you?

Rachel: My boot lace snapped. I had to fix it. Sorry.

Eric Doyle Narrating: She works inside the organization, helping us...even though, with her power it's got to be the most dangerous place to be.

(Buzzzzz)
Rebel texts: Find Claire Bennet. She will save you...Rebel.

Eric Doyle Narrating: Maybe people are good after all...

[The End]