Novels


127: Comrades Part 2

[Introduction: Noah Bennet and Claude teamed up with Ivan Spektor to bag and tag The Russian, a man with the ability to shift his age. During a foot chase through a Moscow Metro Station, Ivan convinced Noah that their dangerous target must be killed. But when The Russian shifted his age to that of a young boy, the stakes were raised and Noah realized the hunt has only just begun...]

Noah Bennet Narrating: I was assigned to take this kid down. The age shifting Russian.

Offscreen(Ivan or Claude): No! Don't let him get away!

[Caption: Moscow. December. 1998.]

Noah Bennet Narrating: But things don't always play out how we expect.

Ivan: (As 'boy' runs away.) I am disappointed in you both.

Claude: Cry me a river.

Ivan: One day you'll see that your tender side requires discretion. The Russian tricked you into being kind, Noah. You should've pulled the trigger. He could be anywhere now.

Noah Bennet Narrating: For example...In 8 years I am going to kill Ivan. And in a year I will follow orders to shoot Claude. Three times.

Noah: Yes, he could be anywhere. But he's a little kid. I have a hunch where he's hiding.

Claude: And what do you plan to do once you find him?

Noah: Use my discretion.

Noah Bennet Narrating: Tonight is when both those courses of action first took hold. While we're all working together.

Claude: You're not taking Ivan's side, are you?

Noah: I have to consider it. He's see the Russian kill.

Claude: You looked into the Russian's eyes, Noah. He's a child. Not a killer.

Noah Bennet Narrating: I understand Claude's sympathy for the Russian. But that attitude flies in the face of the job we're here to do.

Noah: No. He's an age shifter, Claude. Not a child. Dammit...Where did he go?

Claude: I'll check this way.

Noah: I'll look over here. See anything?

Claude: No. Nothing.

Noah Bennet Narrating: It was a simple white lie. Claude thought the Russian could escape. But it was a betrayal to the company. Claude was choosing sides.

Ivan: Noah! He's right there!

Noah Bennet Narrating: That white lie put Claude on the Company's watch list. Claude always believe that Ivan manipulated us...That Ivan called out to me just to put the Russian on the defensive. So he'd age shift to his older self. (He age-shifts, and draws a knife and starts to stab Ivan). I've always thought Claude might be right. Because in the end, my hand was forced to do exactly what Ivan wanted. (Noah shoots the Russian.)

(Later, they sit again at the table...this time drinking vodka.)

Ivan: You see, Claude. I was right.

Claude: This time. But using a gun might not be right next time.

Ivan: Maybe next time we'll have guns pointed at each other.

Noah Bennet Narrating: I never quite forgave Ivan. For scarring my humanity. For raising the red flag on Claude. But he did teach me one thing. Evil comes in all shapes and sizes. It wears many faces. And sometimes it's starting right at you.

Noah: (toast) Here's to standing behing the trigger. (they all drink).

[The End]


Noah: