Novels


119: Under the Bridge, Part 1

[Introduction: After the death of his father and the destruction of Pinehearst, Nathan Petrelli revealed to the President of the United States the existence of special abilities. Nathan declared these people dangerous and in need of being rounded up...]

[Caption: Interstate 51 -- outside of Memphis, Tennessee.]

(A security bus with an armed guard and prisonor is shown driving down the interestate.)

Perrin Crocker (prisoner) Narrating: How the hell did I get here? I go to bed with my wife one night and the next morning I find her lying dead next to me. Stabbed through the heart. Literally. There was no murder weapon. But the jury still decided the blood was on my hands.

Donald Essex (armed guard) Narrating: What am I doing here? Get out of bed one morning and suddenly realize that I've wasted my entire life. Never used the gifts that God gave me. I could have done great things. With just my own two hands.

Steve Gustavson: Hey, what's your name?

Perrin Crocker: Perrin Crocker.

Steve Gustavson: Steve Gustavson. Nice to meet you.

Donald Essex: Hey! no touching!

Steve Gustavson: Sorry.

Steve Gustavson: Listen. Place we're going, a man's got to prove right away he's not to be #%^$&*^ with. You look like a nice enough guy. Just letting you know I'll be proving myself with your face as soon as we get inside.

Perrin Crocker: I just want to be left alone. (showing signs of anger)

Steve Gustavson: Like that's going to happen. After what the news says you did to your wife. Stuck her like a pig you sick bastard.

Perrin Crocker: SHUT YOUR $#&$%#$ MOUTH! (Exploding in anger...Spikes rip outward from his body, empaling other prisoners, and ripping through the hull of the bus)

Steve Gustavson: Oh my God! Oh my God!

Perrin Crocker Narrating: I suddenly realize what killed my wife. And because of it, I deserve to die.

Donald Essex Narrating: Don't know what happened back there.

Donald Essex: Chuck! Chuck! Are you Okay?!

Donald Essex Narrating: But I suddenly know why God made me this way. I'm supposed to live.

Chuck: (the guard driving the bus) Oh No. (Flaming Bus-Crash)



[Caption: Memphis General Hospital. The Next Day]

Donald Essex: How much longer? I feel fine.

Nurse: The doctor wants you under observation, Donald. But there are some people from the government here to speak with you.

Donald Essex Nararrating: Exactly why I need to get out of here. Before people start asking me how I'm the only one who survived the bus crash without a scratch on me.

Nathan Petrelli: Mr. Essex. My nam'es Nathan Petrelli. I'm a senator from New York. I'd like to talk to you about what happened on the bus.

Donald Essex: Shwure.

[To be continued...]