Novels


097: Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Part 1

[Introduction: Months prior to Evs Dropper's poisoning of the Company; it's still business as usual: tracking specials around the world, bagging and tagging them. Company agents almost never go into the field unless they're armed with the best intel and surveillance available. Prepare as you might, sometimes that just isn't enough -- because one blink, and you'll miss...Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration. Part 1 of 2]

Daphne Narrates: My name's Daphne. I can run fast. Really fast. (shown zipping around Paris) So I can get away with pretty much whatever I feel like. Shoplifting for instance...

(Editor's note: the events of this issue take place two months prior to Donna's Big Date.)

Julien Dumont's (Hartsdale clone): Intel said there were 36 more robberies this afternoon. Security and the cameras saw nothing. But it's our guy, and he's out there somewhere...

Sabine Hazel: Get dressed.

Daphne Narrates: When you're as fast as me, it doesn't take long to learn the ins-and-outs of a new city...like the best view or where to get a killer crepe and, oh yeah, where the criminal underworld operates. That's where I met my current employer. (stops on Rue St. Jacques street)

Samir Mellouck: Millbrook...Got a job for you...

Daphne: Hey, a girl like me's got talents. Might as well get paid for them! Time me!

Daphne Narrates: Besides the moroccan sells stuff I nab from museums back to teh country it originally came from.

Daphne: (a table full of stuff is gathered in a blink) What's next?

Daphne Narrates: So really I'm just stealing it back, and you can stuff your speech about morals. Great thing about this job: all the quality time I get to spend in museums...OOOO, I want that. (looking at the Mona Lisa, in the Louve). Now to just steal that wouldn't be doing it justice. It has to be a challenge for me.

Daphne: (Approaching Samir) I need your help with something. (goes into turbo mode with him hanging on)

Daphne Narrates: Pulling one over on the louvre, that sounds like fun. Did I mention the Moroccan's a former theif, with a handy power? (they switch the Mona Lisa with a fake, and is not noticed, except for a man taking a shapshot, who things his picture is double-exposed.)

Louve Tourist: Stupid lousy camera.

Daphne: You need a lift bak to the 13eme?

Samir: I think I'll walk.

Daphne: Suit yourself. (Woooosh)

Julien Clone: We've been watching you Samir Mellouk.

Sabine Hazel: (gun cocked) I wouldn't do that.

Julien Clone: We know about your operation and if you come quietly, there's no need to involve the authorities.

Sabine Hazel: (Samir phases through the ground, into the subway below.) I thought he was supposed to be a speedster, Julien!

Daphne Narrates: You might be thinking, gosh you're nothing but a thief Daphne. But listen up...I'm just having some fun. And after everything I think I'm entitled to it. And besides, it's not like I'm hurting anyone.

(Samir phases through one clone, but is surprised when another one shows up, and punches him in the face, knocking loose a tooth.)

Julien Clone: Sorry, did we break your concentration? (At least 7 Julien clones are shown standing with Sabine around Samir.)

(A few days later...)

Daphne: He, where's Ali Baba?

Doctor Livitz: Shown himself to be unreliable.

Daphne: And you? I suppose you're reliable?

Doctor Livitz: Samir was always working for us, as were you. It's time to cut out the middleman. We believe you are best suited for the coming storm. And don't worry, our former associate will never mention his accomplice. And in return, you can complete another job for us...ever been to Japan, Ms. Millbrook? (hands her a folder)

Daphne: I take cash. (opens folder seeing a photo of Kaito Nakamura)

(To be continued.)