Novels


020: Road Kill

[Introduction: Escaping captivity at Primatech Paper, Sylar tormented Sandra Bennet, only for her husband to come to her rescue. Sylar got away, but not before Mr. Bennet unloaded a few rounds into him...]

[Caption: Two days ago. (Odessa, TX)]

Sylar Narrating: Captured, tortured, then injured. In Podunk, Texas. These bullet holes wouldn't be a problem if I had just gotten that cheerleader. Her daddy was a damn good shot for a guy who needs corrective lenses. But not good enough. I can't imagine he's not coming after me. After what I did to his daughter. Not to mention his wife. I need to get as far away from here as possible. Which means I need a ride.

(Sylar finds a stack of newspapers with a story referencing the sale of a local place called "O'Grady Farms", then steals a new shirt, and notices an 18-wheeler hauling for the Northeast Brewing Company gassing up at a local station. He decides to hitch a ride.)

Trucker: (Traveling down the highway together.) What did you say your name was again?

Sylar: O'Grady. Drew O'Grady. I really appreciate your helping me out here.

Trucker: Happy to oblige, son. Could always use the karma.

Sylar: Well, I sure feel lucky. My needing a ride to up north tonight, you heading back through Virginia.

Trucker: Son, I don't hit Virginia for four days.

Sylar: What do you mean? I though you were going north.

Trucker: Eventually, sure, but pretty soon my route heads west from here.

(Later that evening, outside the parked truck.)

Trucker: Well, good luck the rest of your way, Drew.

Sylar: Listen. You think you can spare a six-pack for a fellow traveler?

Sylar Narrating: THis man is not special. I get nothing from killing him. But I'm not taking any chances. Not after what I've just been through.

(Sylar telekinetically raises out several bottles, breaks their necks off, and impales them into the backside of the trucker. Then Sylar is seen reviewing an instruction manual on how to operate the truckers rig.)

Sylar Narrating: I had no idea how to drive a truck. But, as chance would have it, I recently added another arrow to my quiver. Chandra Suresh recently identified a waitress in Midland, Texas who like had a special ability.

(Flashback to just prior to killing Charlie Andrews in the Burnt Toast Dinner.)

Charlie: Welcome to the Burnt Toast Dinner.

Hiro: (Sitting with Ando) Berry good memory!

Charlie: I don't know, I just seem to be remembering things lately.

Sylar Narrating: I watched her all morning, until it became clear what that ability was. Soon after I killed her, I don't know...I just seem to be remembering things lately.

(He throws the operating manual in the back, dons a Brewing company cap, and takes the truck back out onto the highway.)

Sylar Narrating: (Sylar notices flashing blue-lights in his rear-view mirror, and a roadsign ahead of him stating: Route 95 Virginia Beach Exit 2 miles.) You blow off a route and I suppose people start missing their beer. This is the last thing I need. There's no way I'm pulling over.

Sylar Narrating: The state of Virginia seems to think otherwise. They have no idea who they are dealing with. (By now, 3 other patrol cars have joined the chase, as well as a chopper.)

Sylar Narrating: Time to let them know I'm not your ordinary trucker. (He opens the cab door, and shoots out a layer of ice covering the road behind him, causing the police cars to wreck.)

(He then notices a large roadblock up ahead.)

Sylar Narrating: I suppose they're beginning to understand that. Ther's only one way out of this. And I need to time it perfectly.

(VVVMMMMRRRRRRR. Sylar runs the truck off an embankment, and is seen hanging high above the officers on a tree limb.)

Sylar Narrating: Nobody's going to expect a survivor. And if they need a body, my friend in the trailer will do. On the run. Hiding. This is below me. It's time to get back to my mission. My Evolutionary Imperative. Acquisition.

(Walking down a street towards a mailbox entitled: Taylor)

Sylar Narrating: I remember one last name from Chandra's original map. Zane Taylor. One last name. I'm running out of opportunities. (Rings doorbell). How will I acquire new names? How will I continue to acquire abilities? (Zane Taylor opens the door.)

Zane: Professor Suresh?

Sylar Narrating: I suppose that'll work.