Novels


125: The Swimmer

[Introduction: Alex Woolsley's day started in Sam's Comics. It ended with hiding for his life in the closet of a stranger's bedroom. Wouldn't you have a few questions?]

[Caption: Alex Woolsly. Costa Verde, CA]

Alex Narrating: (At a swim meet.) There was a time when my life was...perfect. I had a skill. I had a passion. I had a family.

Alex's dad: Didn't even come up for a breath!

Alex's sister: whatever...

(venue changes to Sam's Comics)

(venue changes to the beach surfing with friends.)

Alex Narrating: The beach was my second home, and my friends were never far away. I was always careful with the gift I was given. Usually. (A friend wipes out and hit's his head on a rock while surfing, but Alex rescues him.) If I took risks, I think they were for good reasons overall...

Girl on beach: (As Alex drags hurt surfer to shore.) That was unbelievable.

Alex Narrating: My life has been extraordinary. So where did I go wrong? How did I end up a fugitive? Where did I slip up and show my hand?

Claire flashback: You're in danger. (remembers meeting Claire, and he cutting her hand to show she too is special)

Alex Narrating: Where did my passion get the better of me? When was the exact moment I lost my family? The familiar places are gone. They'll never be safe for me again. Which of my friends sold me out?I'll never get to know. It doesn't matter now anyways. I had it so good. But there is no going back. My life veered into a frightening ugly place. Which is a real shame, because it was a beautiful world. But then again, maybe it still is. (sees Claire enter the closet.)

[The End]